Appendix A: Local Master Plans
Appendix B: State and Federal Master Plans
Appendix C: BRAC Program
Appendix D: State and Federal Master Plans, Regulations, and Policy
Appendix E: Design Guidelines
Appendix F: Related Transportation Studies
Appendix G: Existing Transit Services
Appendix H: Public Outreach Highlights
Appendix I: Correspondence
Appendix J: Additional Supporting Information
- Appendix A-1: Specific Master Plan Guidance for NNMC/BRAC Planning Area
This document summarizes specific master plan guidance for eight transportation facilities in the BRAC planning area, provided in three master plans: 1990 Bethesda-Chevy Chase Master Plan, the 2001 Legacy Open Space Functional Master Plan, and the 2005 Countywide Bikeways Functional Master Plan.
- Appendix A-2: General Master Plan Guidance (pdf, 90KB)
This document identifies general guidance in the 1990 Bethesda-Chevy Chase Master Plan that stresses the importance of serving mobility needs through walking, bicycling, and transit.
- Appendix A-3: Scope of Work for Chevy Chase Lake Sector Plan
This scope of work discusses the purpose, challenges, and schedule for the Chevy Chase Lake Sector Plan.
- Appendix A-4: White Flint Sector Plan
The White Flint Sector Plan was approved by the county council on March 23, 2010. It establishes policies for transforming an auto-oriented suburban development pattern into an urban center of residences and businesses where people walk to work, shops and transit.
- Appendix A-5: Purple Line Functional Plan
The Planning Board approved a April 2010 draft of the Purple Line Functional Plan that establishes the alignment and mode of the Purple Line.
- Appendix A-6: Master Plan of Highways and Transitways Scope of Work
The Planning Board approved the Master Plan of Highways and Transitways Scope of Work in November 2009. The plan will update the road network with current classifications, incorporate road changes, and align it with the County Road Code.
- Appendix B-1: National Naval Medical Center Master Plan Update (2008) (pdf, 9KB)
An update to the 1990 master plan that establishes the vision for the Walter Reed
National Military Medical Center.
- Appendix B-2: National Institutes of Health Master Plan Update (2003)
An update to the 1998 Master Plan.
- Appendix B-3: 2009 Maryland Transportation Plan
A 20-year vision that outlines "the State's transportation policies and priorities and helps guide Statewide investment decisions across all modes of transportation." This document provides a statement from the Secretary, identifies a plan objective that supports multimodal choices, and access, and includes two plan strategies related to bicycle and pedestrian access.
- Appendix B-4: Maryland Pedestrian-Bicycle Master Plan (pdf, 2.8MB)
A plan for the State of Maryland to guide investment to bicycle and pedestrian programs. This document establishes the vision for walking and bicycling in Maryland.
- Appendix B-5: Bicycle Compatibility Waiver Request
Per the SHA Bicycle and Pedestrian Design Guidelines, bicycle lanes are required at the intersection of MD 355 and Jones Bridge Rd. Since there is insufficient right-of-way to accommodate bicycle lanes, a design waiver was required. In lieu of bicycle lanes, a 13 ft wide outside lane is provided.
Montgomery County maintains a Base Realignment and Closure (BRAC) website, a repository of BRAC related documents, correspondence, and proposals that provides a comprehensive summary of the planning processes for both on-site and off-site projects and related activities.
- Appendix C-1: Tier #1 to Tier #4 Projects
This document identifies BRAC transportation projects by four funding tiers.
- Appendix C-2: BRAC Mobility Projects Matrix (MCDOT)
A matrix of the 14 BRAC projects located on and off the medical center campus that provides a description of each project, identifies the lead agency, target completion data, cost, and funding status.
- Appendix C-3: National Naval Medical Center DEIS & FEIS
Links to the Draft and Final Environmental Impact Statements, and Planning Board packets related to DEIS & FEIS, and Planning Board comments on the DEIS.
- Appendix C-4: MD 355 Multimodal Crossing Study Purpose and Need
This project is intended to improve access and mobility between the east and west sides of Rockville Pike at the Medical Center Metrorail Station. This document identifies the purpose and need of the project.
- Appendix C-5: MDOT BRAC Activities
Includes a list of BRAC projects that are being led by state agencies (SHA, MTA).
- Appendix C-6: Congestion and Mobility at Major Intersections
This document summarizes the performance of four intersections based on their critical lane volume (CLV) and average delay per vehicle for three scenarios: existing, future without intersection improvements, and future intersection improvements.
- Appendix C-7: Beltway Access Improvements
Discusses why a direct ramp from the inner loop of the Capital Beltway to NNMC is not feasible.
- Appendix C-8: Presentation on BRAC Bicycle and Pedestrian Facilities
A presentation given by MCDOT in March 2010 regarding proposed bicycle and pedestrian facilities surrounding the BRAC planning area.
- Appendix C-9: Chevy Chase Valley Neighborhood Traffic Study
This study evaluates various access alternatives for the Chevy Chase Valley community.
- Appendix C-10: Description of BRAC "Tiers" and "Phases"
This document describes the "tier" and the "phase" that each of the BRAC improvements is associated with. Tiers refer to the funding status as of November 17, 2009. Phases refer to when the project would be completed. Please note, for the Connecticut Ave / Jones Bridge Rd intersection project, Phase 2 and Phase 3 are switched.
- Appendix C-11: MD 355 Crossing Project Alternatives (from July 20, 2010 Public Open House)
On Tuesday, July 20, 2010, MCDOT conducted a public open house for the MD 355/Rockville Pike Crossing Project. This link is to the displays from the meeting, discussing the purpose and need of the project, the process, the alternatives under consideration, and the schedule. Pages 1-5 provide background information. Pages 6-13 relate to the preliminary alternatives. Pages 14-20 relate to the alternative recommended for further consideration. Pages 21-23 show the schedule and a comment form.
- Appendix D-1: National Highway System
Defines the National Highway System and indicates those facilities in Montgomery County and the BRAC planning area that are part of the system.
- Appendix D-2: Mission Statements for State Agencies (MDOT and SHA)
Mission statements from state transportation agencies involved in BRAC.
- Appendix E-1: ADA Best Practices
Provides an excerpt from the Designing Sidewalks and Trails for Access Part 2: Best Practices and Design Guide, which identifies best practices for the design of curb ramps.
- Appendix E-2: Maryland State Highway Administration Bicycle and Pedestrian Design Guidelines
This manual provides a uniform set of guidelines for designing pedestrian and bicycle facilities in Maryland. It includes guidance on the design of paved shoulders, bike lanes, and shared use paths, as well as sidewalks, intersections, and lighting. It also highlights changes to the state code per the 1995 Access 2000 legislation.
- Appendix F-1: County Bus Rapid Transit Study
Provides a summary of the scope of work and schedule for the ongoing bus rapid transit study.
- Appendix F-2: WMATA Priority Corridor Network Study
Describes the PCN network and summarizes the results.
- Appendix F-3: Map of ICC Express Bus Routes (pdf, 3.2MB)
Shows a map of the ICC bus route that will provide service between Columbia and the National Naval Medical Center when the ICC is completed in 2011/2012.
- Appendix F-4: West Side Mobility Study
This SHA study evaluated potential improvements along the Capital Beltway, I-270 Spurs, and I-270 mainline between the VDOT High Occupancy Toll (HOT) Lanes Project and I-370.
- Appendix G-1: WMATA and Ride On Bus Routes
Several WMATA and Ride On bus routes operate in the BRAC planning area. This document shows a map of bus routes that operate in the area, summarizes their operating characteristics and ridership.
- Appendix G-2: Map of NIH Shuttles
Provides a map of three routes that circulate the NIH campus and three routes that provide connections to off-site locations.
- Appendix G-3: Map of NNMC Shuttles
Provides a map of four NNMC shuttle routes.
- Appendix H-1: SHA public meetings and workshops
Lists the number of times SHA has met with various stakeholders regarding BRAC.
- Appendix H-2: BRAC Visioning
On February 16, 2010, M-NCPPC staff led a visioning exercise with the BRAC Implementation Committee (BIC). Materials from this meeting include the vision statement, a list of objectives developed by the committee, and a prioritization of the objectives.
- Appendix H-3: Coordination of Area Master Plans
The Planning Department staff presented a summary of master plan recommendations; with a focus on transportation, neighborhood preservation, and design; to the BRAC Implementation Committee (BIC) on February 16, 2010. This presentation includes a summary of alternative typical sections for long-range transit and streetscaping options along Rockville Pike.
- Appendix I-1: Correspondence between Chairman Hanson and MDOT Secretary Swaim-Staley
A letter dated November 19, 2009 from Chairman Hanson to MDOT Secretary Swaim-Staley requesting a baseline level of information regarding each BRAC project, provision of current plans and responsibilities for phasing and funding the projects, and specific items that the mandatory referral should address. A letter dated December 28, 2009 from MDOT Secretary Swaim-Staley responding to Chairman Hanson's questions.
- Appendix I-2: Van Hollen Letter to NNMC (June 10, 2010)
A letter from Congressman Van Hollen to Rear Admiral Matthew Nathan at the National Naval Medical Center at the National Naval Medical Center.
- Appendix I-3: Comments from the Coalition of Military Medical Center Neighbors
A letter dated June 30, 2010 from the Coalition of Military Medical Center Neighbors to Larry Cole, M-NCPPC regarding the BRAC/SHA intersection improvements.
- Appendix I-4: Comments from Chevy Chase Park Homeowners Association
A letter dated July 1, 2010 from the Chevy Chase Park Homeowners Association to Larry Cole, M-NCPPC regarding the BRAC/SHA intersection improvements.
- Appendix I-5: Comments from Howard Hughes Medical Institute
A letter dated July 9, 2010 from the Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) to Francoise Carrier. It expresses appreciation for deferring mandatory referral of Phase 3 improvements to the intersection of Connecticut Ave and Jones Bridge Rd until HHMI has the opportunity to study options for mitigating impacts to an onsite Category I Conservation Easement.
- Appendix I-6: Comments from the Maplewood Citizens Association
Comments sent by the Maplewood Citizens Association on July 19, 2010 to Chair Carrier regarding the intersection improvements at Old Georgetown Road (MD 187) / West Cedar Lane / Oakmont Ave and Rockville Pike (MD 355) / West Cedar Lane / Cedar Lane.
- Appendix I-7: Comments from the Stone Ridge School of the Sacred Heart
A letter dated July 12, 2010 from the Stone Ridge School of the Sacred Heart commenting on the mandatory referral for the Rockville Pike (MD 355) / West Cedar Lane / Cedar Lane intersection project.
- Appendix I-8: Comments from the Western Montgomery County Citizens Advisory Board
A letter dated July 21, 2010 from the Western Montgomery County Citizens Advisory Board (WMCCAB) to Chair Carrier commenting on the four intersection projects.
- Appendix I-9: Councilmember Berliner’s letter to Neil Pedersen of SHA (pdf, 48KB)
A letter dated July 27, 2010 from the Councilmember District 1, Roger Berliner, to the Maryland State Highway Administrator, Mr. Neil Pedersen.
- Appendix I-10: Response to the Councilmember Berline's letter (pdf, 875KB)
A response to the Councilmember District 1, Roger Berliner letter from the Maryland State Highway Administrator, Mr. Neil Pedersen dated August 18, 2010.
Appendix I-11: BRAC Implementation Committee (BIC) Letter to County Executive Leggett regarding Chevy Chase Valley
A letter from the BIC to County Executive Leggett regarding the Chevy Chase Valley study dated September 13, 2010.
- Appendix I-12: County Executive Leggett's Response to BIC Letter regarding Chevy Chase Valley
A response to the BIC from County Executive Leggett dated September 16, 2010.
- Appendix I-13: National Institutes of Health Letter regarding the West Cedar Lane Shared Use Path (pdf, 36KB)
A letter received on September 16, 2010 from the National Institutes of Health regarding the West Cedar Lane Shared Use Path.
- Appendix J-1: North Bethesda Trail
Maps of the North Bethesda Trail showing the completed and missing segments.
- Appendix J-2: Diamond Lane Analysis
Evaluates the potential for designating additional lanes on Rockville Pike as "diamond lanes" intended for carpoolers and buses.
- Appendix J-3: National Naval Medical Center Gate Work
A Navy presentation from March 2010 that identifies the project limits for five gate improvements on the NNMC campus (see page 3 for map).
- Additional information on BRAC mobility projects is available from Montgomery County and the State of Maryland.