Skip to Navigation | Skip to Content
info This archive page is no longer updated and may contain out-of-date information
» Back to: » Historic Preservation home » HAWP » Step 1 » A Step-by-Step Guide: Step 2

A Step-by-Step Guide: Step 2

Historic Area Work Permits

Step 2: Does your proposed work require a Historic Area Work Permit?

If you have established that your property is listed on the Locational Atlas or Montgomery County Master Plan for Historic Preservation in Step 1, now determine if the proposed work requires a Historic Area Work Permit.

In approaching possible alterations to your historic home, you may find it beneficial to review the Preservation Briefs offered by the National Park Service. The National Park Service has prepared over 40 Preservation Briefs since 1975, and they cover numerous topics from roofing to conserving energy to windows to paint. These booklets help homeowners, preservation professionals, organizations, and government agencies by providing easy-to read guidance on preserving, rehabilitating and restoring historic buildings. Preservation Briefs may be viewed online or ordered via the National Park Service website.

A HAWP is required to change the exterior features of a historic site or a building located in a historic district, this includes: moving, relocating, demolishing or altering exterior materials, substantially altering the environmental setting, grading, excavation and construction. Some common HAWP applications include:

  • installing fences and retaining walls
  • constructing additions
  • window replacement
  • tree removal
  • siding/roof replacement
  • paining masonry surfaces
  • demolish outbuildings (sheds, garages)
  • installing signs
  • install walkways and patios
  • construction of decks

A HAWP is not required for interior changes, ordinary maintenance, repair of exterior features (meaning retention of original materials), or selection of paint colors.

  • If you do not need to apply for a HAWP because your proposed work does not require it, then contact The Montgomery County Department of Permitting to inquire about filing for any Building Permits that may be required by the County.
  • If you do need to apply for a HAWP, then proceed to Step 3.