The Zoning Rewrite Project
Planners have rewritten the Zoning Code to modernize antiquated, redundant zoning regulations, and create new tools to help achieve goals in community plans.
New! Open Houses
Attend an open house (pdf, 230KB) to continue the dialogue about proposed zoning changes. Staff will be on hand with interactive maps to help answer questions.
- April 22 (6-8pm) Rockville Memorial Library 21 Maryland Ave, Rockville
- April 24 (6-8pm) Wheaton Regional Library 11701 Georgia Ave, Wheaton
- April 29 (5-8pm) Park and Planning Headquarters 8787 Georgia Ave, Silver Spring
- May 1 (6-8pm) Marilyn J. Praisner Library 14910 Old Columbia Pike, Burtonsville
- May 5 (6-8pm) UpCounty Regional Services Center 12900 Middlebrook Rd, Germantown
- May 6 (6-8pm) B-CC Regional Services Center 4805 Edgemoor Ln, Bethesda
A marked-up version of this document is available here.
- Cover Page
- Table of Contents
- 59-1. General Zoning Ordinance Provisions
- 59-2. Zones and Zoning Map
- 59-3. Uses and Use Standards
- 59-4. Development Standards for Euclidean Zones
- 59-5. Floating Zone Requirements
- 59-6. General Development Requirements
- 59-7. Administration and Procedures
- 59-8. Zones Retained from Previous Ordinance
County Council Review & Approval
The Council approved the revised zoning code (ZTA 13-04) on March 4, 2014. The revised code becomes effective on October 30, 2014. The Council deferred action on the zoning map (DMA G-956). Review of the zoning map will continue, and the PHED committee will hold worksessions later this year.
Come visit us at the Planning Department and we'll answer questions about the zoning rewrite and how it might affect your property. For more information, contact Matt Johnson at Matt.Johnson@montgomeryplanning.org or 301-495-1325.
M-NCPPC Staff Contact
Information about current zoning
Information about the rewrite project
Date of last update: March 24, 2014