The Zoning Rewrite Project
Planners have rewritten the zoning code to modernize antiquated, redundant zoning regulations, and to create new tools that will help achieve goals in community plans. The new zoning code and zoning map were adopted by County Council earlier this year and will become effective on October 30, 2014.
- New Official printed copies of the new zoning ordinance must be provided by the County Attorney's Office. The official copies will be available sometime after October 30, 2014, and details about obtaining an official copy will be provided soon. In the meantime, a limited number of printed copies will be available for purchase at the Planning Department, but they will not be "official" and will not have section headers on the top of each page.
- On October 7, staff held a training session for community members on the new zoning code. View the powerpoint here.
- ZTA 14-09, which incorporates updates, clarifications, and corrections into the new zoning code, was adopted by County Council on September 30. View the ZTA here.
- For information about submitting an application under the existing (old) code prior to October 30, click here.
- Applications under the new code for approval of Local Map Amendments, Conditional Uses, Sketch Plans and Site Plans are currently being accepted, but cannot be brought before the Planning Board until the new code becomes effective on October 30, 2014.
A primer on the new zoning code is available here.
- Cover Page
- Table of Contents
- 59-1. General Zoning Ordinance Provisions
- 59-2. Zones and Zoning Map
- 59-3. Uses and Use Standards
- 59-4. Development Standards for Euclidean Zones
- 59-5. Floating Zone Requirements
- 59-6. General Development Requirements
- 59-7. Administration and Procedures
- 59-8. Zones Retained from Previous Ordinance
Come visit us at the Planning Department and we'll answer questions about the zoning rewrite and how it might affect your property. For more information, contact Matt Johnson at Matt.Johnson@montgomeryplanning.org or 301-495-1325.
M-NCPPC Staff Contact
Information about current zoning
Information about the rewrite project
Date of last update: October 16, 2014