The Zoning Rewrite Project
Planners have rewritten the zoning code to modernize antiquated, redundant zoning regulations, and to create new tools that will help achieve goals in community plans. The new zoning code and zoning map have been adopted by County Council and will become effective on October 30, 2014.
- On July 29, a ZTA was introduced to incorporate updates, clarifications, and corrections into the new zoning code. The PHED committee will review the ZTA during a worksession on September 22. View the ZTA.
- For information about submitting an application under the existing (old) code prior to October 30, click here.
- Applications under the new code for approval of Local Map Amendments, Conditional Uses, Sketch Plans and Site Plans are currently being accepted, but cannot be brought before the Planning Board until the new code becomes effective on October 30, 2014.
New! A primer on the new zoning code is available here.
- Full Document
- Cover Page
- Table of Contents
- 59-1. General Zoning Ordinance Provisions
- 59-2. Zones and Zoning Map
- 59-3. Uses and Use Standards
- 59-4. Development Standards for Euclidean Zones
- 59-5. Floating Zone Requirements
- 59-6. General Development Requirements
- 59-7. Administration and Procedures
- 59-8. Zones Retained from Previous Ordinance
- List of changes made to ZTA 13-04
A marked-up version of this document is available here.
Come visit us at the Planning Department and we'll answer questions about the zoning rewrite and how it might affect your property. For more information, contact Matt Johnson at Matt.Johnson@montgomeryplanning.org or 301-495-1325.
M-NCPPC Staff Contact
Information about current zoning
Information about the rewrite project
Date of last update: September 11, 2014