One of the most important ways the Montgomery County Planning Board implements the vision of the County's General Plan and master plans is by reviewing proposed development and deciding on subdivision requests. The Development Applications and Regulatory Coordination Division coordinates the timely review of proposed development projects.
Planners review development applications for consistency with the adopted master plan as well as impact on the environment, quality of design, compatibility with neighboring uses and the availability of public facilities (water and sewer, transportation, schools). The Department may recommend that proposed projects dedicate land for roads, schools, parks, or recreation facilities. Department staff work with developers and neighbors and relevant state and county agencies to address issues of concern before sending applications to the Planning Board.
Search the Development Activity Information Center (DAIC)
Don't know the application number? Get the number using MC Atlas or Locator Wizard. View projects approved in the last six months using our Development Finder.
Submitting development applications
NOTE: We have updated our application documents. Please download application materials posted here to access the latest versions.
Private Development Projects (includes public/private partnerships)
Use ePlans to submit applications for:
- Preliminary Plans
- Site Plans
- Record Plats
Access submittal forms and background documents for the following plan types:
- Forest Conservation Plan
- Project Plan
- Sketch Plan
- Extension of Plan Validity
- Subdivision Regulation Waiver
- Adequate Public Facilities
Public Development Projects
Public development projects are submitted as mandatory referrals.
- Public art, which helps build community, foster economic development and create a sense of place is an option in our development review process in downtown areas and transit-area zones. Learn more about Montgomery County's public art guidelines.
- Download the definitive source about local planning, Everything You always Wanted to Know About Planning, Zoning & Subdivision in Montgomery County (9 MB)
- We've made minor updates to our Manual of Development Review Procedures(3.5 MB), which outlines the process and administrative standards for review of and compliance with plans submitted pursuant to the Subdivision Regulations and Zoning Ordinance of Montgomery County.
- Check out proposed changes to the Montgomery County Subdivision Regulations. View our new Tiers Map that complies with the 2012 Sustainable Growth and Agricultural Preservation Act.
- Learn more about the new Commercial Residential zones established by the County Council in October 2011.
- Want to know more about development projects proposed near where you live or work? To stay abreast of Montgomery County development activity, visit our online Development Finder to learn details about building applications to be considered by the Planning Board.
- Our Building or Expanding a House of Worship in Montgomery County, Md. (1.2 MB) brochure was produced in partnership with the Department of Permitting Services
- Visit The Straight Line, a design blog that delivers our take on the buildings, streets and spaces that make up where we live, work and play. Staff’s commentary starts the conversation, but we want to hear from you. Check back often and set us straight.
- Learn more about our proposal to streamline the Development Review process.
- Our Development Review Committee agenda is updated bi-weekly. View upcoming agendas.
We encourage community participation in the development reviewing process. You have the opportunity to voice your concerns and opinions. Don’t miss your chance to have your say about what’s going on in your community. Learn how you can participate effectively in reviewing development applications.
Last updated: July 18, 2014